1914 – Present – French Market
- Located at Mercer Island Park on Nassau Street in Princeton, the
first markets were originally created to support the French Relief
effort during World War I. The proceeds from the markets now support all
civic projects and continue to be our oldest and largest fundraiser.
1914 – 1917 – Nature Teacher at the Princeton Elementary School -
Worked with the New Jersey State Legislature to hire and fund one-half
the salary of a "nature" teacher to teach horticulture and gardening to
the Princeton school children. Deeming the project a success, the State
assumed responsibility in 1917.
1923 – General Washington's Headquarters in Rocky Hill (Rockingham)
- Donated plantings and the services of a landscape architect to
restore the grounds surrounding Rockingham until 1953, when the State of
New Jersey assumed custodial care of the property.
1925 – The Billboard Committee – GCP's letters and efforts helped to stop the
display of more than 20,000 billboards and large signs on New Jersey roads.
1941 – The Community Canning Kitchen of Princeton - The GCP's
War Work Committee assisted the Community Canning Kitchen of Princeton
during World War II. By 1945, a total of 15,000 jars were produced and
distributed to the Princeton Hospital and various welfare organizations
in the Princeton area.
1949 – The Stony Brook-Millstone Watershed Association - The Club
financially supported this organization's efforts in the reclamation of
48 square miles of land in Mercer County. In 1992, GCP began, and
continues today, to assist the Watershed in monitoring and testing the
quality of water with the SBMWA Streamwatch Program.
1974 – The Red Cross Meals on Wheels Program – Beginning this
year, an annual project at our Christmas Workshop began with 20 small
arrangements made for the dinner trays of the recipients of this
program. The number has grown to 73 in 2011.
1986 – The Trash Troop Program – For approximately five years,
the Club initiated a project with volunteers from the Club, area Boy
Scouts and students from the local schools and Princeton University to
clean up litter on the streets of Princeton.
2001 – Princeton Battlefield Colonnade – In memory of September
11, 2001, GCP joined forces with three other area garden clubs to plant
7,000 bulbs at the Battlefield Park Colonnade to honor those who lost
2005 – The Perry Street Children's Garden in Trenton, NJ –
Initiated a GCA Founders Fund proposal to sponsor a children's garden
near the Isles community center in Trenton. Our efforts won a
first-place award of $25,000 to help construct a garden for inner city
children where they could learn about horticulture and gardening.
2006 – Photography Show at Small World Coffee – Proceeds from the sale of
members' photographs at this show were donated to the Stony Brook-Millstone
2010 – Farm Markets of Central New Jersey Guide Book – In keeping
with the trend to "buy local," the GCP Conservation Committee created
and published a comprehensive guide book to all local farms in central
The above list is a sample of projects initiated and executed by The
Garden Club of Princeton between 1911 and today. This list is excerpted
from The Garden Club of Princeton 100th Anniversary 1911-2011.