Founded in 1911 by Mrs. Archibald Douglas Russell, The Garden Club of Princeton was established with the purpose of providing an interest in and knowledge of gardening and horticulture among its members and the Princeton community. Nine monthly meetings are held per club year where members participate in flower, horticulture, or photography shows while becoming educated by many gifted speakers.
The Club began its philanthropy by financially supporting a "nature"
teacher in the Princeton public school and, with the onset of World War
I, helped the war victims both in Europe and here by encouraging Victory
Gardens and canning with the residents of Princeton. In 1914, the Club's war efforts gave birth to the French Markets where members sold their own flowers, plants, and produce. One hundred years later, the French Market still remains the Club's chief fundraising activity, and civic projects has remained a primary focus and underlying principle of the Club.
From an initial total of 25 charter members, the Club has grown to 84 members. Through its 29 committees, members continue to support the
community while enhancing their knowledge of nature and enjoying the
camaraderie of individuals who share common goals and interests.
The Garden Club of Princeton is a current and charter member of The
Garden Club of America founded in 1913. It is also a member of the Garden Clubs of New Jersey.
Charter Members of The Garden Club of Princeton
Mrs. George Allison Armour
Mrs. Grover Cleveland
Mrs. Henry Burchard Fine
Miss Jessie Peabody Frothingham
Mrs. Samuel McClintock Hamill
Mrs. John Grier Hibben
Mrs. Walter Butler Howe
Mrs. Allan Marquand
Mrs. George B. McClellan
Mrs. Junius Spencer Morgan
Mrs. Frederick Neher
Mrs. Charles Nott
Mrs. Alexander Hamilton Phillips
Mrs. Moses Taylor Pyne
Mrs. Ernest Cushing Richardson
Mrs. Archibald Douglas Russell
Mrs. Gustav Schirmer
Mrs. William Milligan Sloane
Mrs. John Duncan Spaeth
Mrs. Bayard Stockton
Mrs. Augustus Trowbridge
Mrs. Horatio Whitridge Turner
Mrs. Henry Jackson van Dyke
Mrs. Williamson Updike Vreeland
Mrs. Jesse Lynch Williams
A complete history of the GCP can be found in The Garden Club of Princeton, 100th Anniversary 1911-2011. A copy is currently available in the archives of the Historical Society of Princeton.